05 Sep Abdu Simba
Abdu holds a BA (Honours) degree in History and Politics from Royal Holloway and Bedford New College, University of London. As a professional, he has developed significant business experience as a director of a number of firms engaged in consumer goods manufacturing, insurance brokerage, advisory services and entertainment.
He is the former Head of the Tanzania Media Fund, a donor funded organisation supporting journalists and media institutions in the fields of public interest and investigative journalism.
He is also a founding trustee of The Flame Tree Media Trust, a non profit organisation created to support and promote creativity in the Tanzanian visual arts and media industries.
Abdu is currently a founding partner of Serengeti Advisers Limited, a Tanzanian Business Advisory Services firm, where he specialises in Media Analysis and Communication Strategies advice. He is also the Managing Director of Abdu Simba Productions, a small company focused on writing and producing independent media products for the local film, television and advertising industry.
- 2003 – Co-author of Tanzania scenarios booklet entitled Tutafika Tanzania – Imagining our Future.
- September-November 2004 – Book and Film Reviewer for Tanzanian English language daily newspaper, The Citizen.
- February 2005 – Author of original stage play, Sema Kweli, for Tanzania British Council ‘Theatre in Education’ project.
- August 2005 – Participant to inaugural invitation only Maisha Screenwriters Lab run by acclaimed Hollywood Director, Mira Nair.
- December 2005 – Contracted by DV8 Films, a leading South African film production company to write original screenplay titled ‘The Informal Citizen’
- April 2006 – Writer, Producer and Director of a 35-minute documentary on the East African Scenarios process entitled: Imagining the Future – The East African Scenarios Project, for Society of International Development.
- October 2006 – Contracted by MFD Tanzania to write feature length screenplay titled The Cost of Love, about an elderly caregivers struggle with the effects of HIV AIDS.
- January 2007 – Writer and Creator of comic book concept titled ‘The Vijana Crew’ for Tanzania Advertising Agency, Creative Eye
- March 2007 – Writer and co Producer of 5 minute video short interview with award winning Tanzanian music producer , Paul ‘PFunk’ Matthyese titled. ‘What is Bongo Flava?’
- 2008 – 2009 Head Writer of 13 part TV series, ‘The Agency’, commissioned by MNET AFRICA. Episodes aired in 2009
- 2008 – Writer of MNET AFRICA commissioned documentary, The Legacy of Mwalimu Julius Nyerere’. Programme aired in 2009
- 2009 – Writer and Producer of short film, ‘Weakness’. Officially selected for a number of Film Festivals including –
- Kenya International Film Festival, 2009
- Amakula Kampala International Film Festival 2009
- ION International Film Festival 2009
- Pan African Film Festival 2010
- New York African Film Festival 2010.
- Durban Film Festival 2010
- AMMA 2011 (nominated for Best Short Film)
- 2010 – Writer of short film ‘The Moment of Truth’. Special Mention at Zanzibar International Film Festival 2011.
- 2012 – Consultant to Media For Development International, assigned to developing feature film projects for Johns Hopkins financed Swahiliwood Project
- 2012 – Writer / Producer of Vodacom MPesa Mini Films project, 5 short commercial films designed to raise awareness of Mpesa service.
- 2013 – Writer for BBC Media Action on Proposed Haba na Haba drama series.