Peter Wangugi Gitau is an award winning filmmaker and has worked collaboratively and individually on a variety of socially engaged interdisciplinary projects for over eight years. Peter attended the annual documentary lab 2011 and there after worked on several film projects as a writer, director and editor in his home country Kenya that include;
- Child for hire (2014) Won best editor in Kalasha International TV and Film Festival 2015
This is the story of Samantha, a 12-year-old orphan who lived with her brother in one of the largest slums in Nairobi. One problem leads to another and she ends up in the streets of Nairobi.
- Heroic Cut 2014 a film produced by FilmAid in Kenya is aimed at demonstrating the importance and benefits of Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC) in non-circumcising communities, as a means of preventing HIV/AIDS and other Sexually-transmitted Infections (STIs) by up to 60 percent.
- Early Marriage 2015 Filmaid International Produced by FilmAid, this film is shown to the Turkana community, located in Northwestern Kenya, to advocate against early marriage and promote the importance of educating girls. This film was produced with the full support and approval of the local Turkana community, with Turkana crew/cast, and dialogue in the local Nga’Turkana language. After the film is shown to Turkana community members, they have an open dialogue with FilmAid’s Turkana facilitators about how to better ensure the education of girls within the Turkana culture.
- Pendo TV series NTV Kenya /Dil Picures 2016 (Directed season 6&7) Maria’s journey back home after 5 years of incarceration. In her quest to bring sense back to her family Maria is haunted by the ghosts of her past. Her aggressors want Maria dead by any means necessary.
- Pray and Prey NTV Kenya /Dil Picture 2016(Directed season 6-) PrayAndPrey is a Kenyan TV dramedy (drama + comedy) follows the stories of men and women of God in their families and communities.
He has made theater productions, documentaries and fiction films touching on social economic issues in Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya. Currently he his film new feature film ‘The Cut’ is an official selection at this year’s Silicon Valley African Film Festival.
Links to some of his projects:
Child 4 hire
Pendo TV Show https://www.facebook.com/PendoTVSeries/
Pray & Prey https://www.facebook.com/PraynPrey/